Friday 4 March 2011

Cream puffs

Beard Papa's is a 'chou cream' (cream puff) chain in Japan. You'll recognise them by the smell of heaven itself.

The cream puff 'shells' are very freshly baked on site, and they fill them with a delicious custard cream when you order them, so they aren't soggy. If you eat them soon after buying them, they are crisp and fresh.

You can get different types of shell, like normal 'chou pie', 'cookie chou' and 'Paris Brest'. I recommend cookie chou. ^_^ Every month or so they usually have a special 'short-time-only' filling as an alternative to the regular custard cream. In late autumn, they had chestnut cream; then last month they had sweet potato. I'm not sure what it is now.

There are not many Beard Papa's in Yokohama. There used to be one in Yokohama station, but I think it's closed, as their website doesn't list it any more. I always went to the one in the basement of Kawasaki BE, in Kawasaki. In Nagoya I go to the Beard Papa's at Atsuta AEON mall.

According to their website, there's also a Beard Papa's in LalaPort (nearest station, Kamoi, on the Yokohama line). There's one at the shopping centre at Kamiooka station (Yokohama subway blue line or Keikyuu line). And there's one in Tressa, near Mitsuike Park in Tsurumi.

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel you on this one. I love cream puffs, and tomorrow I will visit the store at the Kamiooka Station. Thanks for this information.

    ReplyDelete