Sunday 19 July 2009

Fuma no Kojirooo!

A while ago I watched this hilarious drama called Fuma no Kojiro. The thing is, I'm fairly sure it wasn't *meant* to be hilarious. I can't decide what was funnier - the acting, or the special effects. 

See, the story seems to be about two rival groups of ninjas who have special powers. There is one scene where a character slams a stick into the ground. In the next shot we see a group of people standing nearby, suddenly being jolted into the air (because the stick was slammed *so* forcefully it made the whole Earth move). But what it looks like is that someone is *pretending* to do special effects and has been copying and pasting the people into a different location using MS Paint.

In another scene, the hero whisks his girlfriend off from where they are sitting by the harbour - and because he's a super ninja, he can fly, and it looks like someone has put a still frame shot of a cityscape on the screen and moved a little man-shaped silhouette across it - and suddenly they are at the top of a tower, and it's sunset, and it's so romantic you can't help but think 'wth?!'

I just can't describe how funny this show is, you would have to see it for yourself. It's like that soap opera that was so dramatised that I could never work out if it was a parody of soap operas. For a while I couldn't work out whether this was supposed to be a parody or not. When main characters died, I almost cried with laughter at the melodramatic acting. 

Now that I've seen more Japanese TV, I must sadly conclude that it's not a parody; nor was its comedy intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment