Saturday 25 December 2010

Clothes shopping

About clothes shopping (for girls) in Japan. If you go to a girl's clothing shop, clothing may be on the small size, but if you go to a 'family department store' like Jusco, where older ladies often go, you can find cheaper clothes in a wider variety of sizes (though perhaps less stylish).

Now it's winter. The fashion tends toward baggy tops over undertops with high necks or turtlenecks. Mostly you don't see a lot of skin-tight tops on Japanese girls. They tend to wear baggier, looser tops which are quite modest in terms of showing skin. This look is quite fetching on slim Japanese girls, where it hangs flatteringly on their slight frames. It is not flattering on me. If I stick my arms out, I feel like I'm about as wide as I am tall, ha ha ha.

Tunic tops (in Japan, called a 'one piece') are popular. Lots of girls are wearing short shorts or skirts with black tights and boots, often topped with fur. Jeans are also popular, of course. Sweaters with pom poms and/or wintery designs (snowflakes, reindeer, etc) are also popular. Tartan and plaid coats are popular. Some girls wear scarves or earmuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment