Monday 3 January 2011

Zannen sale

This is a little out of date now, but I just remembered. This year, Nagoya's baseball team, the Chunichi Dragons, won the Central League. (At this point, Dragons merchandise abounded, and the theme song was  played not a little.) They then played the Lotte Marines in the Japan Series, and lost.

The part that I enjoyed: stores in Nagoya, en masse, held a 'zannen sale' to commemorate the LOSS of their city's team!

'Zannen' is a Japanese word, generally meaning 'too bad', or 'that's a shame'. According to Denshi Jisho, it also means 'bad luck, regret'. I love that they hold a 'regret sale'. Apparently it's a routine thing. I think this should catch on all over the world.

My friend tells me that the stores were bound to hold a sale, win or lose; if the Dragons had won, the 'omedetou sale' (congratulations sale) would have been more extravagant, with better specials.

1 comment:

  1. A sale is a sale...but perhaps more fun if they had won. I'm sure the pubs/clubs/alcohol shops were having their own sales (win/lose or draw).

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete