Wednesday 12 August 2009

Cafe Colorado

Cafe Colorado is a coffee chain; it's not very cheap (520 yen for a cappuccino!) but I quite like their food, and there's nowhere else in my area with good coffee.

My local Cafe Colorado is quite funny; although it's a chain cafe, the staff always act like it's their own personal kitchen, and they're not very used to having guests. That is to say, if you order something, there's a lot of very slow-paced clattering of cups and quite a long wait. Most of the time when I go there, the proprietress is sitting at the counter with one of her customers, yakking away. The average age of the clientele seems to be about 65.

Anyway, these are all reasons for me to like it more, not less. Sometimes one wearies of faceless corporate chains (which is not to say I don't go to Starbucks almost every day, and sometimes twice a day ^_^).

Today I went to Cafe Colorado, and unusually, one half of the cafe was completely empty. I soon realised why: they had a little plastic container with crickets in it; I think it was their own pets which they had stowed into the corner. If you didn't know, crickets do not make a pleasant sound. These ones were very shrill indeed. I moved seats twice to get away from them.

1 comment: