Tuesday 25 August 2009

DVDs

This is a rather random observation, but it suddenly occurred to me: on all the occasions I have rented a DVD in Japan, I have been able to watch the entire movie without any glitches, sudden pauses, or scenes skipping.

Whereas, every time *without exception* in Australia, there would be some kind of glitch; half a scene would skip as the DVD player made a disturbing grinding sound; sometimes DVDS would be wholly unplayable and I would take them back to the store with a complaint.

I don't know the reason for this. A better quality DVD player? (My Japanese one is much cheaper than my Australian one was...) The DVD store uses better technology to 'clean' their DVDs? The store is quick to replace any DVD with the slightest whiff of imperfection? Japanese people are less violent with DVDS and so there are fewer scratches? Who knows?

It is a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment