Tuesday 11 August 2009

Earthquake!

Small earthquakes are quite common here; I've experienced quite a few. But this morning I was woken just after 5am by the strongest quake I've felt. The windows were rattling; I sat up and moved into the middle of the room, in case stuff started falling on the ground. I wasn't scared, but I thought 'this one could be serious'. The ground was trembling strongly and the building was swaying.

Apparently it was a magnitude 6.5 quake. Not much damage occurred; the quake was stronger in Shizuoka and Aichi, a little west of here.

We also felt quite a significant quake on Sunday, apparently 6.9. That one didn't feel so strong to me, possibly because it didn't wake me out of a sleep! Or perhaps I was further from the epicentre. 

I find small earthquakes rather exciting, but that doesn't mean I want a strong one! The earthquake is all over the news today.

1 comment: