Wednesday 5 August 2009

This is a high-brow blog

Sorry, this is not one of my more genteel posts. Rather, this post is about poo.


In Japan, there is a stylized, even cute way of drawing turds. If you don't believe me, just put 'Japan poo' in Google Images and look.


I knew about this from long ago - a Japanese friend in high school drew them occasionally when doodling pictures - and didn't think much of it.


This week I was in my local department store and I saw poo-shaped cookies.


Yes, they were little cookies shaped like cute little smiling poos. It wasn't even a joke of 'eww, look how gross it is to eat something that looks like a poo'. It was just a cute design choice.


Seeing them, I remembered a conversation between two 40-something friends at an izakaya:

Y: Did you use to draw poo?

S: Yes, of course. I think every boy does so. 

H: Yes, they always had to have steam coming from them.

S: That's right. They look better with steam.


Welcome to Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment